The History of the Grieb Farmhouse Inn

bros-copyThe home is a family treasure to the owner and innkeeper, who is the great-granddaughter of the original home builders, Konrad and Katharina Grieb who imigrated from Germany and settled the land in 1872.  The property was originally made up of several Spanish land grants which totaled  over 1100 acres. The land was planted in acres of walnut and apricot trees. The numerous big, stately oak trees on the land were never cut and farm crops and livestock were raised around the trees.

Over time, the property was divided up between the heirs and sold  off.  Today only the land where the house sits remains.  In the beginning, the family lived in a one room shack with a dirt floor.  Eventually, the two-story family home for the Grieb’s nine children was built circa 1888 and originally contained 6 bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs but had no indoor bathrooms.

When Konrad Grieb died in 1925,  his son George inherited the property and kept it until approximately 1960 when he sold it and the remaining land to a family with 16 children.  This family retained the property until the mid 1970’s and subsequently sold it to a building contractor who restored the house with a new foundation  and updated the plumbing and electrical.  Thankfully the deteriorating house was saved, but unfortunately, the remaining  land was subdivided and sold.

In 1997, the house was purchased and lovingly updated and remodeled to its current condition by a wonderful couple who had respect for the old house and its’ family history. In 2002, the bed and breakfast was closed and the house was sold to the current owner who reopened  the home as a bed and breakfast in 2003.  After 42 years, the home is now back in the hands of a Grieb family member.  For this we are grateful.